Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Project 1: The Triple Goddess Masks

 Project 1

The Triple Goddess Masks

Designs


Masks


The Maiden


The Mother


The Crone

Artist Statement

                  When coming up with ideas, I had always wanted to make masquerade masks since I was younger. They have always fascinated me with both they're designs but also how they work. But I also have always wanted to explore the more mystic side of humanity within my work. I am mainly inspired by the magical realms of nature and how the world pre "technology" found ways to create the world around them. By creating these masks using nature themes throughout, I could tap back into what made the world magical.
                  I have an extensive background within technical theatre. Because of studying it in high school I learned much theatre history, and technical skills for the theatre. Masks have been around since the ancient Greek theatre. They were a solution to the storytelling within an arena stadium. Because these spaces were built tall, the people higher up needed a way to view the same show as people closer would see it. These masks helped portray many emotions and helped create a narrative. Masks would go onto to evolve over time becoming symbols of mystery and secrecy. I wanted to pull from this idea that identity could be otherworldly with the help of an adorned mask.
                 Touching back on the mystic side of the project, I have always been interested in the triple goddess. I'm not sure if she is solely tethered to Hecate, the goddess of magic in Ancient Greek Myths. But nonetheless, she has been a figure that I have been itching work with in my art. When researching this figure, I learned that there are many nature motifs that symbolize each figure.
The Maiden
                  Being portrayed as the youngest of the three, the maiden symbolizes rebirth and youth. I wanted to convey this free spirited being that just gives off youth. I learned that she is represented by the waxing new moon as she is the start of the new cycle. So I added this to the top of the mask to depict this. I also chose to use butterfly wings as a way to symbolize this care free being. I interpreted that she would choose to be airy, and have no real tether to the lives around her. By being the embodiment of youth, she holds no responsibility, she can dream in the clouds and never have to come down. There is a sense of innocence with this design.
The Mother
                  Moving on to the Mother mask, I wanted to give her a more earthy feel to the design. I wanted to ground her to the world around her. The mother represents a nurturing and empathetic figure. I interpreted this mask to be a representation of Mother Earth. She is represented by the full moon, a bountiful and generous symbol. I wanted leaves and sprigs to show off the beauty of nature. This mask shows more wisdom yet retaining the youth. She is the in between for many.
The Crone
                  Lastly, the crone mask truly gives a satisfying completion to the trio. She is the waning moon, the end of cycle, the final stage in "life". I wanted to convey the idea of being who has lived a long life and could tell you whatever you want to know. I wanted to create a figure who seems to be full of knowledge. This is why I chose the texture of the mask to be the bark of a tree. Trees are known to be some of the oldest living beings of this planet. They have seen many generations come and go and the development of the world. I wanted her to be worn down, tired, but yet very intriguing to the viewers eye. 
                  Overall, these masks were so much fun to work on. I love adding adorning details to things and this was the most rewarding project to just have fun with. Each one reads a different tale and I believe this just adds to the cohesiveness of the trio. All in all, a very gratifying project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project 1: The Triple Goddess Masks

 Project 1 The Triple Goddess Masks Designs Masks The Maiden The Mother The Crone Artist Statement                   When coming up with ide...